Saturday, February 20, 2010

Actually, I do not restrict myself to quilting Lone Star quilts. I love quilts made from traditional patterns using today's fabrics. I've been quilting for close to thirty years. I've taught beginning quilting, helped to found two quilt guilds, and a Midwest quilting association that brought teachers and guilds together. I host a small quilting bee on the first Friday of each month.

I love to piece designs. I recently had the opportunity to create a studio in my home, and I moved (almost) everything related to my quilting into one room. What a rush!! Great light, a design wall, a wall of fabric, and another wall for all the equipment. It's been quite a joy. The only thing I didn't move was the collection of unquilted tops residing in the guest room closet.

Two weeks ago I decided to prepare many of those tops for quilting. I matched battings to the tops, and then chose backings from my stash. There was only one quilt that required the purchase of fabric to complete. I have four baby quilts and four small color studies ready to be quilted. I contacted my favorite long-arm quilter to see if she would take on any of the projects, and as soon as I hear from her, I'll send off those that she will take.

I sew on a very old Singer sewing machine. It's not a Featherweight, but almost as old. I can do simple quilting, such as in the ditch, or stippling, and those projects the professional quilter doesn't care to do, I'll try to do on my own. I have a top put together for my cat (don't laugh). Since he seems to love fabrics, I thought I'd give him one that he could leave his fur on, and up-chuck over. It gives me the chance to reacquaint myself with machine quilting before I work on more serious projects.

I also have a set of pieced placemats that I'd like to quilt for use this summer, and a table runner to finish for my sister. I need to free hand quilt around ivy leaves on the table runner and add a few beads, and it will be done. I rarely applique, but I want to add a fall of leaves across one corner of an over-sized lap quilt. If I get the leaves cut out, I can work on the layout and have some hand work for bee.

I'm sure you see the trend here......finish it up so that I can start something new!

Do you quilt? If you do, tell me what you're working on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment